2022-2023 Audition Information
Exsultet! has openings for singers for the remainder of the 2022-2023 season. Auditions will be on Monday, January 30 at 7:30pm at First Congregational Church, 725 Washington Street, in Holliston.
The audition piece is “Stars I Shall Find” by Victor C. Johnson
Frequently Asked Audition Questions
Exsultet! usually holds auditions in late August and January. Here are answers to the more frequently asked questions about our audition process.
Is Exsultet! the group for me?
- learn our music on our own time, so we can concentrate on blending, intonation, and interpretation during rehearsals
- aren’t afraid of learning new music, but enjoy being challenged by singing a large range of works, including newly commissioned pieces, rarely performed works, in addition to great masterworks
- aren’t afraid of singing in different languages, but enjoy the challenge of singing in German, Latin, French, Hebrew, Russian, and Filipino, etc.
- aren’t a social group, but enjoy fast-paced and disciplined rehearsals, striving to achieve our conductor’s nuanced interpretations as early as possible in the rehearsal process
- don’t chat during rehearsals, but enjoy each other’s company
Q: What are auditions like? Do I need to prepare a solo?
No, you will not be asked to sing solo songs.
a. You will sing your preferred voice part of the audition piece individually for Richard, the Director, and Carrie, the Auditions Manager;
b. we will then rehearse the piece for an hour as an ensemble;
c. at the end, we will break into small groups to allow the Director to assess your experience level amongst the singers. This will assure proper placement and balance of voices to achieve the best possible musical outcome.
Q: What do I have to prepare?
Please review your preferred part of the audition piece before audition night.
Q: When and where do you rehearse?
We rehearse on Monday evenings from 7:00 – 9:00 pm from late August until mid-May in the choir room at First Congregational Church, 725 Washington Street, Holliston, MA.
Q: How much are dues?
Dues are determined by each singer’s ability to help with volunteer opportunities – the more you can help, the lower your dues. There are additional costs for music, a concert folder, and concert dress.
Q: How many concerts do you perform?
Our season includes two to three concerts (December, February, and May) with performances at other locations and periodic collaborations with other musical groups.